The day so many of our locals have been waiting for is nearly upon us. This weekend, Saturday, November 21, is the opening day at Purgatory Resort. This is an exciting season for many locals. It is the 50th anniversary of the resort, and new ownership brought its original name back after being named Durango Mountain Resort for several years. The resort will be open all during Thanksgiving week, from November 21-November 29.
It’s hard to believe Purgatory has been around for 50 years—it has molded and shaped so much of Durango and our culture. Did you know how much the resort has to offer? Here are some fun facts about Purgatory from their website:
- Our Base Elevation is 8,793 feet (2,680 meters)
- The Summit Elevation is 10,822 feet (3,299 meters) (That’s over two miles high!)
- Vertical Drop is 2,029 feet (618 meters)
- Skiable Area is 1,360 Acres (536 hectares)
- Our Annual Snowfall at Purgatory is 260 inches (660 centimeters) (That’s over 21 FEET!)
- We can cover 250 acres (21% of the mountain) with our Snowmaking
- We have 10 Lifts serving 88 runs and can get up to 15,050 people to the top of the mountain per hour.
This season Purgatory will be making some improvements, as well. Lift 8, known as Legends Lift, will be replaced with a high speed lift to get to the summit in less than 5 minutes. With the new quad, they will also be adding two new trails off Roy’s Ridge and enhancing the old mid-way loading area off the loading area to get to the bottom of the lift.
These stats on Purgatory lend credibility to what a great resort we have in our own backyard. A day spent skiing in the San Juan mountains is filled with great snow and spectacular views. We hope you enjoy a ski season filled with great days on the mountain!
Take a look at their website for information on dates, deals, and updates: http://www.purgatoryresort.com/